Monday, January 18, 2010

Italica and Going Out in Sevilla


So this has been a very exciting weekend in Spain!

On Friday afternoon I went shopping at the mall that is about a 15 minute walk from my house. I bought a grey sweater, but for the most part their clothing stores are the same as in the United States.

Saturday we took our first group excursion to Italica. It is the Roman ruins that are on the edge of Seville. They were built in the first century, and are still standing (more or less) today. They were so impressive. I took some cool pictures. The sand/clay in the middle of the stadium ruins is the yellow clay that’s all around Seville. It’s famous because it is used in pretty much all bullfighting rings in the world. When it gets wet, it doesn’t get slippery or muddy, making it perfect for using year-round. Seville actually exports it to the other countries in the world.

Saturday night we had our first experience with Spanish night life. We met up around 11pm, and walked about an hour from our house to the other side of the river, Guadalquivir. We went to a bar first, then to a discoteca, or a club. We got there at about 1:45am, and there was pretty much no one there. The place didn’t get going really until about 3am. The Spaniards have a very late time schedule. We ended up leaving around 4:45 or 5am, but me and a guy who lives near me walked a friend home, so I didn’t get to bed until about 6:30am this morning! It was so crazy!!

Then I really didn’t get much sleep, because I woke up to go to mass with some friends. I walked about 35 minutes from my house to the Seville Cathedral. It’s impressive enough from the outside, but the inside was just so fantastic, that there really are no words. I didn’t take any pictures this time, but I will be going back. There was just so much decoration inside, that it’s impossible to see in one visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment